Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ironic Signage...There is nothing better!



A few weeks ago I stumbled upon this little gem of a gas station in Bronx. The highly debatable slogan for this gas station, which was emblazoned on every pump and sign, could not be ignored. As I pulled out my camera and snapped away giddily, the owner of this fine establishment sauntered out of his convenience store to investigate my activities. Smiling stupidly, i chattered on about how i found the gas station's sign wonderfully ironic given the world's current oil and environmental situation, pointing out the beautiful juxtaposition of the enthusiastic slogan above the appalling gas prices. The gentleman, whose English was perhaps a little rusty, looked confused and slightly hurt and asked "You do not like my sign?" Evidently, the man was very proud of his choice of slogan, and i certainly did not want to be the one to give him doubts about his decision. I assured him that i very much enjoyed his sign, gave his gas station a great deal of praise, and reiterated what i found humorous about his gas station slogan. To this, the man shrugged and simply remarked, "Prices will work out." But he seemed pleased with my explanation (especially after i shamelessly threw in a few more words of admiration), because he asked if i would take a picture of him next to his gas pump.

No comments: